Saturday, August 23, 2008

Stuffed Bell Peppers!

So here is another dinner I made this week that turned out great! I am just sitting here thinking about eating my left overs... mmm. Definitely going to the recipe box, in fact it might become a regular. It was so easy to make and it really was delicious. I know it was good because my picky husband ate the whole thing. Then he burped like a pig and informed me that in India that is how you tell the chef you enjoyed your meal, I took it as a compliment but told him it was not allowed in my kitchen( like he will ever listen to me). Conrad devoured the filling and even demanded seconds. I just love living with boys :)
Looks delicious!

Daddy liked it!

Conrad asking for more :) he loves to boss me around.

Sausage stuffed bell peppers
3 orange bell peppers, tops cut away and seeds removed
1 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell peppers
1/2 lb ground spicy Italian sausage
1/2 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch red pepper flakes
2 cups cooked long or medium-grain white rice
8 ounces tomato sauce, plus more to fill bottom of dish.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large pot of boiling water, parboil the peppers until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and dry on paper towels.

In a large saute pan or skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and chopped bell peppers and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the sausage, garlic, parsley, fire roasted tomato ,salt, black pepper, and pepper flakes. Cook until the meat is browned, stirring with a heavy wooden spoon to break up the lumps, about 6 minutes. Add the rice and tomato sauce and stir well. Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste.

Pour enough tomato sauce to cover bottom of baking dish, about 1/8-inch deep. Stuff the bell peppers with the rice mixture and place in the baking dish. Bake until the peppers are very tender and the filling is heated through, 25 to 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I make something similiar but I do chicken in it and I top it with grated cheese about 10 minutes before it's done cooking, very yummy I love it! And I add a packet of lipton's onion soup mix in it.
I love reading your new recipes!

Dusty And Mandi said...

Looks good! I doubt my hubby would eat it though. He doesn't eat anything I make beyond meat and potatoes. Ha ha. It's so boring.