Thursday, August 21, 2008

toys toys toys...

So I have noticed that Conrad has been a little restless and frustrated as of late and I just couldn't figure it out. Then I realized that he hasn't been spending much time in the play room. Hmm... I think it's because it was a little cluttered and he just had so many toys laying around he had no idea what to play with. So I decided to clean it up a bit and start recycling his toys. Recycling toys?? YEP, I take out some toys and put them in a box in our downstairs closet leave them there for a few days. Then I take out some more toys and stick the previously taken ones back in his toy bins. This way there are always "new" toys to be played with, hopefully this will keep him interested in his toys. also there aren't as many to overwhelm him, and this means I have less to clean up. :)
here is a picture of his play room. (It's actually supposed to be our dinning room but no one ever comes over for dinner so we just use it as Conrads play room.)

Here is his toy bin after I recycled out some toys. It was full and over crowded with toys before.

After I sorted through all his toys and chose which ones to recycle for the week I realized that they were all toys that didn't challenge him mentally or spark his imagination. I also think there were a lot of toys in there for younger children, I put those in a separate box in a closet upstairs with the rest of his baby things ready for when Kylie gets here. I have decided to only buy toys that will challenge him from now on instead of just things to amuse him and keep him busy. He is a smart kid and I know he needs to be challenged more then he has been.
Later that day I went to the store and there happens to be a kmart next door. I have been wanting to get him his own little pool and kmart is probably a great place to find an inexpensive pool for him I thought. In I go to search for a kiddie pool and as I am walking past the toy sectionI thought I might as well just look. Well I found a pretty cool little toy from Vtech. Its a video game of sorts especially for babies! Only $34.99, I was sold! It's not exactly what I was thinking when I said I was going to get toys to challenge him but it will work for now until I can do more research on what I would like to get him. Plus we have recently decided to keep the TV off while he is awake and this will give him some healthy visual stimulation. The kid loves TV so its been kinda ruff on him, he will love this!

It came with its own game cartridge but i purchased a few more. They had all kinds from big brands like Baby Einstein and Disney. I can't wait to get them all! It also has a mode where it can be played without the TV.

Here he is playing with his new toy in self play mode without the TV. He loved it!

Here he is playing the video game mode. I don't think he understood the connection to the TV just yet but he will get there. He had fun either way.

1 comment:

Life is Good said...

Glad that you found something that works for both you and Conrad!!